So....when I saw an advertisement for the Dutchess County Fair (1.5 hours due north of where I currently live in Queens), it really hit a nostalgic spot in my memory, and I made up my mind that I wanted to go. I talked Bob into it (it wasn't hard!) and we made a plan to go up on Sunday, 8/29/10.
It was the last day of the week-long event, so it was understandably crowded! And it was very hot (90 degrees by mid-afternoon!)! But it was soooo much fun! So many memories were tickled while touring the 4-H exhibits, the animal barns and the midway! We rode the ferris wheel, and I ate a lot of stuff I don't normally allow myself - like fried dough and Fowler's taffy - and it was all memorably delicious. Even though it was WAAAAAY more expensive than in my memories, I will definitely go again next year!!!
Here is a photographic recounting of the day:
Animal barns (Poultry)
(Faverolle Rooster)

Who you looking at???
(Holland Rooster)
(Holland Rooster)

A handsome, regal rooster!
(Speckled Sussex)

(Orpington Rooster)

and who can resist cute little baby chicks??
SO....why the interest in chickens, you might ask? I must confess .... I was born and raised on a chicken farm! We didn't raise such fancy, colorful breeds as these above - our chickens were white leghorns! But I guess I still have an affinity for these birds deep inside!
I lived on the farm until I was 18 and went off to college. While I was still in college, my Dad sold out the land and the farm to the state of New York for the continuation of construction of Interstate 17/86 through to Jamestown, NY.
Growing up, the farm next to us was a Dairy Farm. I don't recall what kind of cows they raised, but one of my strongest memories was my brother and I joining the neighbor kids to bring the cows down for milking, from the hill behind the farm where they grazed during the day. No herding dogs on that farm, just herding kids!!!!
(Brown Swiss)
Anyway, back to the County Fair:
in the Sheep Barn, they were demonstrating (competitively) wool spinning, carding and looming:
in the Sheep Barn, they were demonstrating (competitively) wool spinning, carding and looming:
In the Horticulture Barn: a prize-winning dahlia

In the butterfly habitat, we were surrounded by monarchs
![]() |
| some of which were newly born, just minutes out of the chrysalis |
A bluegrass band played some tunes:
On the Midway:
The Zipper

A view of the Fair from the top of the ferris wheel:

A fun day! Definitely to be continued ... next year!!
* * * * *
* * * * *












1 comment:
Great memories for both of us. I'm glad you captured so much with your camera to share with everyone else ... Bob
Post a Comment