April 15: I started my seedlings in my indoor greenhouse around April 15th, after we returned home from our last trip to NYC. Within a few days, seeds were already sprouting:
Within the week I also planted lettuce outside in my elevated boxes, and covered them with my greenhouse toppers.
Within a few days after that, I also sowed radish, carrot and green onion seeds outdoors, and also covered with a row cover until they get started.
May 16: Lettuce is sprouting!
May 17: Radishes coming on strong!
May 22: Lettuce
First garden box planted plus irrigation (soaker hose) put in: I've added broccoli to this box, and eggplant and cabbage in the third box, along with a row of marigold seeds at the ends.
May 23: Lettuce for dinner!
May 29 - June 3: Little by little throughout this week, I got the rest of my garden in...squash, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and cantaloupe...! Also put potatoes into my potato bag. I had to put row covers on the squash, peppers and tomatoes, plus rig up blockades for the cantaloupe and cucumbers to shield them from the wind, which has been brutal lately. My little seedlings seem extra weak and spindly this year. and need some time to get established.
June 4: Garden growing!
5 Varieties of Lettuce
First Box growing! I ate a couple of baby radishes today!
June 7: Removed row covers and wind shields, replaced about 9 pepper plants that were eaten by some insect, and added marigold plants to all boxes, since very few of the seeds sprouted. I hope the nasturtiums come up!
June 15: Things are growing!
Potatoes
July 9: We've had lots of rain so far this season, but enough sunshine too. The garden is filling in nicely! I have some baby zucchini and baby cukes I'm watching; they should be maturing soon. Something (probably cabbage butterfly larvae) ate holes in the cabbage and broccoli leaves, but I've been spraying with an organic pest control, and it seems to be helping. The only thing not doing great are the peppers! Not sure what's going on with them this year. Stunted growth and holes in the plants. Something is eating them too.
Cukes
Cabbage, peppers & eggplant
Tomatoes (Big Boy, Gladiator & 4th of July)
Zucchini and Crook Neck Squash
July 11: First carrots! Sweet!






















No comments:
Post a Comment